Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wedding Sweatshop: An Amish Weekend

This weekend was an incredibly productive one for me. Why you ask? Well, because of this...



We had our power knocked out for 46 hours by 110 mph winds and lots and lots of falling trees. It was kind of like being Amish for the weekend. It went out on Friday, right after I got home from work, and didn't come back on until this afternoon. There aren't a lot of distractions when a flashlight and a hand crank radio are the only gadgets in the house that work. This wedding is DIY crazy and I decided to make everything myself for it, within reason. And some stuff not so within reason. For example, I decided I wanted to make boutonnières for everyone instead of buying floral ones. My inspiration came a la the fabulous Princess Lasertron. Great idea! Here's what the first one looked like:



It's cute, huh? Well, that little guy took me oh, I don't know, maybe four hours to make. And then I did the math and realized that I needed to make twelve of them. But how was I going to find the time to sit down and crank all those guys out? Good thing I didn't have power this weekend!



No TV, no internet, no Wii. Absolutely nothing to stop me from working my fingers to the bone making wedding crafts. I also made ten center pieces, picked up and cut out engagement pictures when Baker's got its power back, and temporarily escaped the sweatshop for a four hour wedding pow-wow at Cathy's house. (I also snuck in some internet time to get my fix. I'm a web junkie. Hense the insanely long post tonight.)

I was just sitting down to the computer to finish printing off stuff for the invitations when the sirens went off on Friday. I had just enough time to turn off the computer, grab a flashlight and run to the laundry room before the power went out. I was finally able to finish printing everything off tonight. Here's proof that I really did the invites myself and didn't outsource them to India to save some bucks. It's also a picture to brag about having my power returned. Look at that printer go!



Keep an eye out for one of these babies in the mail in the next few weeks...

No comments: